Auditioning Baritones & Basses for The Sensational Sixties by Portland Musical Theater Company
Portland Musical Theater Company Audition Notice
The Sensational 60s: a Broadway Revue” a World Premiere created and directed by Portland Musical Theater Company’s Founder & Artistic Director Deanna Maio for Chehalem Players Repertory.
The Sensational 60s: a Broadway Revue” is an original musical revue featuring favorites from 1960s Broadway hits including: Bye Bye Birdie, Cabaret, Camelot, Fiddler on the Roof, Hair, Hello Dolly, How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Man of La Mancha, Oliver, Sweet Charity and more.
Recommended for ages 10+. Show run time is 1:45 minutes including a 15 minute intermission.
Produced by Chehalem Players Repertory in partnership with Portland Musical Theater Company
Seeking: At this time we are seeking baritone and bass voices only. Ages 18+. Auditioners must know how to read music (and be able to learn their part from sheet music) We’re looking for singers that can move/dance a little with great stage presence.
Auditions are by appointment only and will be held during the below times.
Schedule your audition here: https://pmtc-auditions60s.youcanbook.me
Saturday August 6 from 9am – 12pm
Callbacks, if needed, will be Saturday August 13 from 10am – 12pm
Torchsong School of Music
2240 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97214
- Prepare 32 bars (or less) from a song from a musical show that best shows off your voice and personality.
(Please be prepared to sing an alternate song in case you are asked.)
- Bring an iPod or MP3 player or CD with a recording of the song’s accompaniment (a background or karaoke track works just fine). Speakers will be provided that you can plug your device into.
- Perform your song(s) a capella.
- You will be asked to prepare a 28 bar section from one of the songs from the show and sing it with others. It does not need to be memorized. We will provide the sheet music and a background track after you schedule your appointment.
- You will also be asked to cold read a narration from the show’s script.
Be prepared for:
- providing a performance resume and headshot, if you have one.
- us to take your photo for our records.
- listing conflicts during the rehearsal period and performance dates. Bring your calendar. Conflicts not listed at time of audition may not be honored.
- completing an audition form (Arrive at least 10 minutes early)
Rehearsals begin in October 2016 with a “kick off” held in late August and will be held in SE Portland at TorchSong School of Music 2240 SE Hawthorne Studio #4, Portland OR 97214.
You will be called to rehearsal 2-3 times per week. Rehearsals will be scheduled around your conflicts.
Rehearsals will be scheduled during these time frames but (but will not last for more than 3 hours…except maybe tech week.)
Monday-Thursdays, 7:00-9:45 p.m
Saturdays, 9:00am-4:00 p.m.
You will not be called to all rehearsals. There will be no Sunday rehearsals.
Why do we start rehearsals in October for a show in January?
It’s a good question.
- We believe you should have a balanced life and rehearsing 5 times a week for 6-8 weeks is JUST TOO MUCH for most people if you want to have a life too. We believe in our cast and crew being healthy and happy and having time for jobs, friends, family and self-care.
- We will take some time off around Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day so you can be with your family and friends.
- Most of this show is ensemble singing (with solo opportunities throughout the show) and it requires more vocal rehearsal than most musicals with 10 or 12 songs. This show is almost all singing…and it’s going to be a total blast.
With that in mind, if cast, you will be given most of the music in August and will be expected to be very familiar with it (if not off book) by the first rehearsal in October.
The Sensational Sixties: a Broadway Revue will be performed at the Chehalem Cultural Center’s Blackbox Theater at 415 E Sheridan St, Newberg, OR 97132
Invited Dress/Previews: January 4 & 5
Performances: January 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29, February 3, 4.
Friday and Saturday evening performances are at 7:00 p.m. Sunday matinees are at 2:00 p.m.
The run may be extended through February 12th.
Note: Portland Musical Theater Company is a community theater company and offers a small stipend and complimentary tickets to its cast and technical crew. Portland Musical Theater Company is committed to objective casting, and does not consider factors of race, gender or ethnicity in casting except when such factors are required by playwrights.
Schedule your audition here:
August 2, 2016 Auditions