2017-2018 Season Auditions
Portland Musical Theater Company seeks theatre artists to join our season and mission to create musical theater that spreads hope and joy through our community.
We hire Non-Equity performers and encourage artists of all ethnicities to audition. We’re looking for singers with great stage presence that can move/dance a little.
All roles receive $100-$200 stipend (depending on the role) and 2 complimentary tickets.
Auditions will be by appointment only at Torchsong School of Music
2240 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, OR 97214
Please complete the form at the bottom of this page. We will email you with details about scheduling an appointment. Make sure to check your spam/junk folder.
Audition Dates and Times
Tuesday May 2nd 7:15-9:30pm
Thursday May 4th 7:15-9:30pm
Saturday May 6th 10am-2pm
Video auditions are being accepted before May 6th at 3pm. Please complete the form below to get the details.
All callback auditions are by invitation only and auditioners will be notified via email. Callbacks will be May 8th at 7:15pm or May 9th at 7:15.
If you are cast in a role, you’ll also be invited to our Season Announcement party on May 18th at 7:00pm.
- Please prepare up to 32 bars of a song. (Be prepare to sing an alternate song in case you are asked to sing something else.) Songs must be memorized.
- Bring a background track to sing with or sing acapella. No accompanist will be provided. Be prepared to sing a second song if requested.
- A comedic monologue is recommended but not required. You may be asked to read sides from a script.
- Learn one of the songs from the show and be prepared to sing it with others. The lyrics do not need to be memorized but you do need to be able to hold your part. The sheet music and a background track will be provided to you. You can access the details. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dvb1vnhplog5b53/AADfCbL4KK2-AyZIYexNhjQwa?dl=0
- Please bring a current non-returnable photo and resume.
- Please bring your calendar to list your conflicts.
- Artists auditioning for female roles are asked to wear a skirt or dress and heels or flats.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early so that you can complete an audition form.
We are holding auditions for 3 2017-2018 mainstage musicals:
All Hands On Deck
Directed by Deanna Maio.
Rehearsals begin on or after August 1
Performances are October 20 – November 12
ALL SINGING! ALL DANCING! Based on Bob Hope’s 1942 USO tour to the troops in the field, ALL HANDS ON DECK! is a new, two-act revue performed by four charismatic singer/dancer/comics featuring the songs, dances and laughs that America has loved since the ’40s. Songs include: “Chattanooga Choo-Choo,” “Atchison Topeka And The Santa Fe,” “I’m In The Mood For Love,” “Pennsylvania Polka,” “Deep In The Heart Of Texas,” Thanks For The Memory” a powerful Military Medley and many more.
ALL HANDS ON DECK! boasts over 40 classic Big Band hits in original arrangements all packaged in a fun-filled, true-to-life reproduction of the kind of USO show Bob Hope and Jack Benny would have taken to the troops: classic humor and great music from those special days of road shows, war-bond drives, and radio broadcasts.
- Ted Crosley – host of the show, a song-n-dance man, baritone. Plays 30-45
- John Hanley – Hollywood’s most sought after tenor. Plays 30-45
- This role is cast: Daisy Maxwell – Hollywood’s newest girl-next-door, alto. Plays 25-35
- This role is cast: Betty Blake – the sexy bond-bombshell, torch singer with curves. Plays 30-40
- Understudy for Daisy Maxwell and Betty Blake
- Understudy for Ted Crosley and John Hanley
You can read about our understudy program here.
TBD: Musical for Young Audiences
Directed by Deanna Maio
Exact dates to be determined.
Rehearsals Begin on or around December 15th with breaks for the December holidays.
Performances are Feb 17 through March 11, 2018
All performances are 2pm and 4/4:30pm Saturday and Sunday matinees with up to two each day.
The Sensational Sixties
Written and Directed by Deanna Maio
Rehearsals begin on or around March 5, 2018
Performances are April 27 – May 20, 2018
After a successful out of town launch during our 2016-2017 season, THE SENSATIONAL SIXTIES comes to Portland. Featuring songs from Broadway’s biggest hits of the 1960s there’s a little something for everyone in this revue. Set in the theater after their performance ended, a cast of singers passionately debate what was their favorite musical and show tunes of the 60s. As each cast member puts their candidate forward, the entire group breaks into song to celebrate the hits from their favorite show. The revue brings together over 35 Broadway hits from Hello Dolly, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, Cabaret, Sweet Charity, Man of La Mancha, Hair, Oliver, Bye Bye Birdie, Fiddler on the Roof, and more.
Casting Ensemble Roles:
- 1 Soprano,
- 1 Alto/Mezzos,
- 3 Men (can be Tenor, Baritone or Bass)
All roles are ensemble roles with possible solo opportunities.
Note: Portland Musical Theater Company is Portland’s Only All Musical theater company on the East Side. We are a 501c(3) non-profit, community theater company. Portland Musical Theater Company is committed to objective casting, and does not consider factors of race, gender or ethnicity in casting except when such factors are required by playwrights. We have great respect for your time and will start all rehearsals on time, end them early or on time and will never add a rehearsal to the schedule or call you in unexpectedly after the schedule is published.
April 11, 2017 Auditions