Wanted: Assistant Director for “The Magical Music of Disney”
Portland Musical Theater Company is dedicated to furthering the appreciation of musical theatre in the Portland metro community through performances and educational programs. We are committed to two fundamental truths.
- Each of us is special and has unique gifts to contribute to the world.
- 2. We’re more alike and connected than we realize.
We’re a forward-thinking, fast paced company looking to hire an assistant director for our fall production, “The Magical Music of Disney”
The Assistant Director will possess the ability to keep the production running smoothly by supporting the rehearsal process and the performance run.
He/she must possess excellent communication and organizational skills, must be self-motivated, efficient, and creative. Experience working with vocalists is especially important.
The following are the duties and responsibilities of the Assistant Director:
- The Assistant Director will participate in a production meeting prior to auditions.
- The Assistant Director will meet with the Director prior to auditions to discuss the Assistant Director’s responsibilities and duties for the show.
- The Assistant Director will attend all auditions. Cast selection decisions will be by the Director.
- The Assistant Director will attend callbacks, if deemed necessary.
- The Assistant Director is the point person for any cast member to inform PMTC of any absences.
- The Assistant Director will be responsible for communicating with the cast, as needed, regarding changes or additions to the rehearsal schedule and other items.
- The Assistant Director must take attendance for cast members at each rehearsal and performance.
- The Assistant Director is required to attend most rehearsals and performances.
- The Assistant Director will act as the Stage Manager for all performances. The Assistant Director is responsible for coordinating and directing the stage crew.
Your energy and excitement are more important than your past experience or your educational background.
Applicants must exhibit clear and professional written and oral communication skills, be detail oriented, work well without direct supervision, and have the ability to follow through on a project from beginning to end. No experience is necessary; we will train you and give you all the tools you need to be successful.
You’ll need reliable access to the internet, a computer and transportation.
Rehearsals: Rehearsals begin in late June. There will be 1-3 rehearsals a week. Rehearsals will be scheduled within the following time frames. (but not for the entire time frame.)
Monday-Thursdays, 7:00-9:30 p.m.
Saturdays, 9:00am-4:00 p.m.
You may not be called to all rehearsals.
Performances: THE MAGICAL MUSIC OF DISNEY will be performed at the ArtHaus Theater at Milepost 5. 8155 NE Oregon St. Portland, OR 97213
Performance Dates are:
October 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 27, 28, 29.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening performances are at 7:30 p.m. Sunday matinees are at 2:00 p.m.
The run may be extended through November 13th and we may add Saturday matinees on the above dates.
You must be able to attend the scheduled performances.
Show Description: THE MAGICAL MUSIC OF DISNEY is an original musical revue featuring favorites from Disney films from Snow White through Frozen. More than a staged concert, this show brings together hits from just about every Disney movie you can think of. Recommended for ages 6+. Show run time is 95 minutes with a 15 minute intermission.
Apply ONLY IF…
=> You read music
=> You have directed singers and run a rehearsal before as a part of some musical endeavor
=> You understand a director’s job is to motivate, inspire, guide and help. You’re a leader and outgoing.
=> You can play piano well enough during rehearsals to play vocal parts.
=> You’re a friendly, positive, people-person and frequently hear others say that you made their day.
=> You’re a confident, independent thinker and a practiced creative problem solver.
=> You’re highly accountable and responsible
=> People tell you that you are able to respond to even difficult situations with grace, compassion and empathy (verbally and in writing).
How to apply…
Send us an email at email@example.com with the following…
#1: Why you want to be a part of our team.
#2: Why you think you’d be great for this position.
#3: Your favorite job you’ve ever had and what you loved about it.
#4: Your least favorite job you’ve ever had and what you didn’t like about it.
#5: Any specific training or skill sets you have that you think would be extra valuable in this position.
And include a recording that you directed or performed along with your resume or work history.
Place the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line: PMTC Assistant Director
Note: Portland Musical Theater Company is a community theater company and offers a small stipend to its performers and technical crew. The assistant director position is compensated $200 plus complimentary tickets. Portland Musical Theater Company is committed to objective casting, and does not consider factors of race, gender or ethnicity in casting except when such factors are required by playwrights.
April 12, 2016 News